Sunset Boulevard ★★★★½

The story of an actress that is a former star, and the down on his luck writer that she meets, falls in love with, and then tries to turn him into a kept man.

I don't know why, or how, but this film makes voice over work where nearly every other film fails. It might be because the voice over is all subtext and not exposition or "text". We are still being shown what is going on, but the voice over add an extra dimension to the film.

I feel like a hack trying to write eloquently about a film that some of the greatest movie critics have already written so profoundly about. Not to mention that the film its self is so well written and crafted.

This is an all time classic, and another film that I don't think will ever age its self out of style. You know what? I would love to see Sophia Coppola take a stab at a film of this style. Let me make this clear, NOT A REMAKE! I mean more of a current condition of Hollywood and the pressure to be young and thin. I think her talents could really express the themes of this film very well.

Andrew liked this review