The Green Knight

The Green Knight ★★★★½

Lowery again exemplifies in stunning fashion his innate ability to visually connect the world we inhabit with a world beyond us. He translates the transcendent into the dirt and experiences of human life with his creative shots and ethereal camerawork, previously seen in the excellent A Ghost Story. In the latter it’s humanity and time. Here it’s humanity and myth and the virtue we find imbued in them.

This alone makes the movie for me. There are some truly inspired sequences in this film. The cinematography married to a wonderful score, create an atmosphere and tone as singular as it is beautiful. It immerses as it mystifies.

And that mystification plays perfectly into the perplexing stages of Gawain’s quest. Virtue and the ideal he strives for is stood against the confusing, frustrating circumstances and places in which he keeps stumbling, and Lowery doesn't do any of the work for his audience. Like the mists that often shroud Gawain's steps, once all the veneer of honor and glory in adventure is stripped away - when he finds himself in a world no more safe than it is tamed by man or what he hopes to be - who he is and what he is actually doing anymore is threatened to be lost as well.

And that perhaps is the film's greatest strength.  Gawain is not the heroes in our fables and stories but maybe he is the kind of hero of which humanity is actually capable in the face of such a mystery like this life. Lowery strengthens his craft as he becomes more ambitious in his stories. Love it.

Patel's performance is captivating, playing the whole thing as desperate assertion of his being worthy against the mysteries of a world no one really understands. The end sequence is one of the best of the year. And Barry Keoghan can crash any movie he wants anytime he wants in my opinion. He elevates everything he does and chews up scenes.

Ryan liked these reviews