Another Country

Another Country ★★★★

I promised myself while watching Molly Reynolds' documentary, Another Country, that I wasn't going to mention my time living on community. And I won't, except to say that I've banged on about the experience and the issues for over a decade. Now I can just point people in Another Country's direction.

Reynolds give image backing to a searing screed by David Gulpilil on the experience of growing up in the outback, the myth of self-determination and the roots of the issues facing Indigenous Australia, which is to say the issues faced by Australia at large.

Another Country is a straight forward, straight down the line explanation film. It's not so much an accusation as it is a laying down of the facts; the damning conclusions will be self-evident to anyone who sees the film. Cleverly, they've covered every stupid question visitors to community routinely ask without ever making the audience feel stupid. Gulpilil's voice, filled with warmth, delivers the lesson clearly and with liberal helpings of blackfella humour.

Community life 101. Prerequisite viewing for all Australians.

Block or Report