Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith ★★★½

"You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the Sith, not join them. You were to bring balance to the force, not leave it in darkness!"

You okay there, Ani? No? Okay. Talk to me after you've calmed down a bit.. oh no.. you've changed Anakin - into the best onscreen villain of my childhood! Let's look at Episode III:

When writing this review - here on Letterboxd - I debated on clicking the "Contains spoilers" button, but I realized I [technically] can't for one reason: there are no "real spoilers" in this film. Almost everyone knows what happens in the next installment - A New Hope. We all know Anakin becomes Vader, we know Obi Wan lives to become "Ben", and we definitely know about Luke and Leia are born. What we don't know is how George Lucas weaves those story lines into the larger picture. With these less than perfect sequels, we now know how.. and why things ended up the way they did.

Revenge Of The Sith is far from a perfect movie: there are those moments that make us cringe in our seats thinking "really? that's how you're going to react to this?!" and even some [very] terrible dialog sequences and acting that feels like this is High School drama class. This isn't new - this has become the norm for the modern mid 2000's Star Wars - The good news is that these moments are quite rare in Episode III.

Arguably though, the best scenes are the ones between Obi-Wan and Anakin. These scenes are legitimately some of the most "real" in the entire film. With Ewan McGregor giving his all as the character, he really gives Obi-Wan real depth, and throughout the film, you can thoroughly believe that he does grow up to become Alec Guinness.

With Anakin by his side, There exists a real bond between the two, making the viewer feel the brotherly love that Anakin and Obi-Wan share. This of course, makes Anakin's untimely fate all the more tragic - as he slowly becomes more and more entangled in Palpatine's [a masterful Ian McDiarmid, now joyfully malevolent] web of deception, lies, and ultimately: his turn to The Dark Side.

While the prequels movies weren't that great, Revenge Of The Sith remains my favorite of the three. It's a hell of a lot darker than the other two prequel films, and it reminds us how Ani could have been good - but let's be honest; then we wouldn't get Vader.. and who wants to see Star Wars without Vader? I'll tell you who:

No one.