Parasite ★★★★★

"It is said that a ghost in the house brings wealth."

Three watches in less than a week have solidified this as a masterpiece; in its rewatches, it has just continued to grow on me. Bong Joon-ho has so much on his mind, but he never fails to engage or entertain, and through the story of two families, one rich and one poor, he delivers a con-movie, a social thriller that, at times, dips its toes into horror, a dark comedy, and a family drama. Scenes that start out as hilarious smoothly turns into something eerie before revealing themselves as heartbreaking, as the poor people are ignored, cast out, or beaten up, even when (or as) they're doing all they can for the rich. They truly just don't care about them, even when they're being seen as gods; the poor are nothing but ghosts to them, passing through their lives, unable to touch them in any lasting way apart from violence or shock.

There is so much to uncover and discuss with this, and I don't really want to start just yet. I'm content to let this film just wash over me before really digging in deep. Every watch so far has uncovered something new, and revealed how interwoven this really is. It still makes me gasp, laugh, and this time the ending moved me to tears. A cohesive, damning portrait of a flawed system and the people living in it, the best visual takedown of "trickle-down economy" ever, and a haunting finale that's both deeply tragic and terrifyingly hopeful, even in the face of hopelessness. Because even knowing you're a ghost, all you want to do is to reach out and touch the living, to believe that you can be one of them. Fuck this movie is so, so good. I love it.

Carl liked these reviews