Creepshow ★★★★★

There is no review for this diary entry. Add a review?

Watching Michael Dougherty's Trick 'r Treat (2007) earlier this evening whet my appetite for anthology horror. Creepshow is probably my favorite of the genre, and the one that had the most profound influence on my misspent youth. Like writer Stephen King and director George Romero, I grew up on horror comics, though I was too young and too poor to delve much into the EC catalog (Tales from the Crypt and Vault of Horror being the most well known titles). After seeing Creepshow, a preteen me was inspired to make my own horror comics. The results were predictably laughable and embarrassing, thankfully lost to the ravages of time.

Creepshow adapts two of King's short stories ("Weeds" and "The Crate") with King providing three others to round out the selection. While there are plenty of shocks and gore, the film has a definite comedic and "comic booky" tone that some may find old-fashioned or just plain corny. The HBO television series Tales from the Crypt and earlier Amicus films drew from the same inspiration, so if you have a fondness for those... well, you've likely already seen Creepshow. If not, fix that, STAT.

For those reading this review who have already seen the film, here's a fun little game: Try to find the deadly marble ash tray from the "Father's Day" segment in the background set dressing of each subsequent story. This obsessive scavenger hunt nearly wore out my VHS copy of the movie back in the day. Enjoy!

Ray liked this review