Blue

Blue ★★★★★

We truly did not deserve Derek Jarman.

On one hand, Blue immediately welcomes us with immaculate sound/music design, a veritable behemoth of a soundscape surrounding our ears from the off. I happen to be a huge fan of audio dramas, and this sort of audio design was right up my alley. Jarman's narration is also a huge plus, delivering both brevity and emotion with unwavering aplomb.

On the other hand, this is one very hard movie to watch. Is this a reference to the fact that the entire screen is blue for the whole duration? Yes, but not for the reason you may think. Blue delves into serious subject matter, of queer oppression, AIDS, gay erasure and the like, and the mental images come hard. You can't turn away from the grisly bits and focus on something else at the screen, now, can you? The whole movie's the same picture — and mental images never go away.

It's beautiful, it's heartbreaking, it's everything in between. Seldom have I had an emotional response to a film as much as I had to Blue. Even the most mundane of stories tell an epic, a detailed chapter of Jarman's life. This is possibly one of the most personal projects I've seen from a filmmaker, and I cannot be more honored. Here, Jarman quite literally offers us a view of the world from his own eyes. Everything shades of blue. Darkness visualized.

Quite frankly, one of the best-made films (and an outright challenge on visual-centric film conventions) ever.

Harry liked these reviews