Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★½

Ok before the pitchforks come out, I will need to rewatch this!  This was my first Lynch film, I also knew nothing about this going in so I really had no clue what to expect.  Suffice to say that it was much different than I was expecting and I hated it up until the last hour.  The last hour changed my opinions drastically on this film and I really need to rewatch it before I can give a thorough review on it.  Many of my critiques of the movie on the first watch, poor acting, strange dialogue, and weird camera work were actually purposeful choices that I feel like I will appreciate more on a second watch.  Immediately after I watched this film I had to look up explanation videos because there was clearly a piece of the puzzle that I was missing.  The explanation videos definitely helped give me a clearer idea of the plot and the metaphors/motifs throughout this movie and I’m sure on a second watch I’ll be able to make more personal connections too.  Because of the explanation videos I feel confident to give this a 3.5 when originally it was going to be a 1.5.  When I say I didn’t understand this movie at all, I mean I really did not understand it.  The first 40 minutes of the movie were seriously reminding me of The Room which considering the critical response of this movie, I was more than nervous.  I will be rewatching this, I’m not sure when because I just found out my parents bought me Little Women (2019) which is my favorite movie!!! But I will try to make an effort to return to this one.  To conclude, take my rating with a grain of salt, as I said prior I think a lot of the things I had issues with were chosen to convey a separate message.  I’m hoping on a future watch I will like this more!

Cassie liked these reviews