Red Notice

Red Notice

Everyone who took part in the making of this movie has officially been put on Red Notice. Until any of them can get off Red Notice, I will just go into any of their movies assuming the worst. Because, yeah, this was not good, not good at all. And this was not good in the absolute worst kind of way. Some movies, at least for me personally, they might get low ratings, but its just because it wasn’t for me. Movies like Mother (2017), Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), or even something big budget blockbuster like The Matrix (1999). Where it’s kind of like, alright they were at least trying to take me on an interesting ride, I just wasn’t enjoying any of it. But then there are another kind of just bad movie, the one that is openly trying to not be good, but make you think it’s good by adding the biggest movie stars (who aren’t really trying), over the top action set pieces, and to top it all off ridiculous third act twist that, the audience shouldn’t care about in the slightest or that make a lick of sense.

I guess the only difference between the two is one I walk out of disappointed and the other I walked getting exactly what I thought going in. Red Notice is a movie that at the very worst should have felt like a Michael Bay movie like 6 Underground (which also featured Ryan Reynolds), and at very best felt like a National Treasure like movie. There is a lot wrong with the movie, and I’ll try to keep away from any spoilers, just in case you do like this kind of movie or are actually interested in still checking it out. But the list is going to be kind of long, so if you could just bear with me here:

First let’s just get the very poor acting out of the way here. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, the man with enough charisma to light up a room. Not a single one of those rooms was featured in this movie and this guy just has to get better at picking scripts. Other action stars like Tom Cruise or Will Smith might not always be picking winners, but more often than not they have at least found a formula to entertain in the biggest blockbusters in the best way possible. There really isn’t any reason that Johnson couldn’t at least get a few more winners in here. If you’re reading this Dwayne, I’m team The Rock over Vin Diesel every day and rooting for ya, please just pick better projects. Next up, Ryan “only plays Deadpool characters” Reynolds, this guy has to take a chance here and there. I like Reynolds and his sarcastic persona, but he is just going to run it into the ground at this point. You can continue to play these type of characters, they/Reynolds just have to continue to evolve, otherwise the act will grow old quick. Gal Gadot, I have seen Wonder Woman (2017), so I know with the right material you can be a really good actress, but this was not a great look. Every acting decision that seemed to be made in this movie was the absolute wrong one. It’s ok though, because no matter how bad these three were in this movie, Chris Diamantopoulos was here to take that spotlight off all of you with his performance. I’m not sure what he was doing, but he and the voice he chooses for this character alone clinched this movie to have a poor review.

Then even if all of these performances were good, I’ll even say great, the writing still would have failed them in the end. The movie doesn’t make a ton of sense, mainly after some of the third act “twists” that it tries to install. However, up until that point, the movie doesn’t really seemed all that concerned with putting together any kind of story to set up those “twist” and instead relies on massively over the top action sequences. This movie had a budget of near 200 million dollars, and man, it just didn’t look that well shot either. There were numerous scenes where I thought it was pretty easy to tell it was mostly green screen or effects. Rawson Marshall Thurber, I know this movie is setting itself up for a sequel, but you have some other movies (Dodgeball) that I think people would actually be excited to see a sequel of. I don’t really feel like going on much longer about this movie, other than saying one thing. That is, we as moviegoers across the world, we deserve better. I know we get our smaller more personal movies that come out, and we can get behind them. But we need these blockbusters to start getting better and be movies that are being made with the same care as those smaller more intimate movies. That will be the only way that we (the moviegoers) can become the real winners of these situations, instead of just the stars and their bank accounts.