The King's Man

The King's Man

Eggsy would be so god damn disappointed. This movie has virtually zero trace of what made the other two Kingsman films special. Those movies felt like they were James Bond/Mission Impossible movies, but if they were like “screw it” and made something totally unique. This movie kind of also says that but takes itself significantly more serious than even the most serious spy movies. Well except for the Rasputin scenes, but the less said about those scenes the better.

I’m not really sure who saw the second Kingsman film and was asking for this to be the follow up, but clearly Matthew Vaughn and crew had other ideas. The first Kingsman movie might not be a critical darling, but it is super fun, entertaining, and still a damn good film. The second movie has its ups and downs, but it is still a good time at the movies and has Jeff Bridges in it. This film continues that regression from film to film and is borderline unwatchable at times, at least to me. Fingers crossed if they ever get the chance to make another Kingsman film (more on that later) that they can buck that trend and make a worthy entry in the franchise.

Film to film, I’ll give Matthew Vaughn this at least, he can assemble a pretty darn good cast. From getting the likes of Colin Firth and Samuel L. Jackson, to getting Jeff Bridges and Halle Berry in the sequel, to being able to land a talent like Ralph Fiennes in this. I just wish that as I said above, this cast got to have the fun it looked like the others had on previous installments. Every performance besides one, is kind of tiptoeing back and forth between trying to be very self-serious, while also being somewhat comedic. Which is just a very hard line to walk and I’m not quite sure anyone was able to complete that tightrope in this one. However, every single actor in this is light years above whatever the hell Rhys Ifans was doing in this as Rasputin. This is my least favorite performance of the year, and it isn’t even really all that close.

I don’t want to keep harping on this, because Matthew Vaughn has beyond earned the right to make whatever kind of movies he wants. But I just wish someone would have been in his ear and letting him know, this probably wasn’t the move after the first two Kingsman movies. If he wanted to make some sort of spinoff, Statesman is probably the way to go, I mean he set it up in The Golden Circle. But alas, this is what we got, and I just have to wonder where we go from here. I can’t imagine this is going to do even 10% of what Spider-Man is doing at the box office, and I also highly doubt I will be alone in my displeasure with the film. I’m not too sure how much good will Vaughn had built up with the studio with the previous two installments, but for fans of the franchise, hope that it is a lot. This seems like the type of film that might be a franchise killer in most scenarios. All I ask, is that if we do get future Kingsman installments let it be with the Galahad, Lancelot, and Merlin that we had all come to know in love prior to this film.