Suicide Squad

Suicide Squad ★★

So here's the deal. I was excited for Suicide Squad like everyone else but held off on seeing it for a long time due to all the terrible buzz. I finally went to the movie going in with an open mind but still with low expectations. So here's my reaction:

Suicide Squad is not the disaster most people are calling it, in my humble opinion. However, it's still not a very good movie and just another example of wasted potential. What should and could've been a fun, clever and fresh take on these characters is instead a film that feels more like a confusing, badly edited, tonally uneven and awkwardly unfunny version of Guardians of the Galaxy. It wastes a perfectly talented and fully committed cast on such a poor screenplay that just doesn't make these characters or story that compelling. Other than its fine performances, entertaining action set pieces and a nice visual aesthetic, this film is mostly underwhelming. I'm still excited for Wonder Woman and Justice League, but as of now, I'm keeping my expectations low for them.

William Tallman liked these reviews