Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood ★★★★½

The most surprisingly laid back, restrained Tarantino has ever been (before going 100% QT in that glorious finale), while perhaps also the best character study he's ever made too. Yes, it's a LONG one, there are perhaps sequences that run longer than needed, and will require viewer's patience, but when you're watching two of the greatest living actors giving the performances of their lives and one of the greatest living filmmakers seamlessly transport you in the era of 1969 Los Angeles, Hollywood, at least this fanboy couldn't stop grinning from ear to ear and feel immensely satisfied walking out. DiCaprio and the show stealing Pitt have hardly ever been better, the two ooze such a genuinely touching bound on screen with one another, making Dalton & Booth amongst the most memorable characters they've portrayed in their long, established careers. I do wish some of the supporting cast and characters were utilized a little better, namely Margot Robbie, but she still absolutely delights as Sharon Tate, while Margaret Qualley, Bruce Dern, Al Pacino, and Julia Butters all shine in some of my favorite scenes of the movie. As usual, QT's dialogue is on point, there are some big laughs throughout, the soundtrack is killer, and that finale is so, so satisfying, delivered in a way that pretty much only QT can do. If you can go along with its surprisingly laid back nature like I totally was, I promise you the final half hour is one for the ages. For that reason alone, and knowing the secrets it has up its sleeves, I certainly can't wait to watch this one again and again in the future, I get the sense my appreciation will only grow.

willmoviefan97 liked these reviews