The Lone Ranger

The Lone Ranger ★★

The Lone Ranger looks nice visually, features fine performances, but unforunately it doesn't save its weak script with many cringe-worthy dialogue, lack of charm or wit, unbalanced tone, convoluted plot, overlong running time, and the lack of any real chemistry between its leads. For an action movie with a budget over $200 million, this film feels awfully bland and dull making it very boring at times. Johnny Depp is fine as always as Tonto, but I never felt any kind of attachment to his character. Same thing with Armie Hammer, and I never felt any kind of chemistry between them. The great supporting cast that includes William Fichtner (probably my favorite part of the movie), Tom Wilkinson, Barry Pepper, Helena Bonham Carter, and Ruth Wilson are all solid, but feel rather wasted, and the villains are incredibly weak. The attempt at comedy also really fell flat for me, and I couldn't help, but roll my eyes at a lot of the dialogue. And, at 2 hours and 30 minutes this film feels much longer, especially since it feels like it has at least two or three different endings. The action scenes are fine, but nothing special. I honestly really wanted to like this movie and it's not without its share of entertaining moments, but as a whole it just didn't work for me.

C-