Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★½

I really struggled with this, not whether I liked it or not because hey it's a likeable film but because I couldn't work out why this is so so loved. I mean the film is entertaining yes and the humour and style is something no other Marvel film has, I just felt like this isn't anything special though, just a good blockbuster but certainly not fantastic.

I really like the characters in this, or more I like them as an ensemble, individually take someone like Drax and he's probably not the strongest Marvel creation, but put him with others and the characters humour and emotions come off more, credit to James Gunn for making the chemistry nice. You can't not mention Groot when talking about this film, one of the most beautiful things a blockbuster has had for a long time and his presence brings a more human feel to this (even if he's an alien tree).

I don't think Marvel necessarily make something massively new in terms of plot here but they do create something imaginative and rather fun. Chris Pratt as Peter Quill leads the cast well and of course the 70's soundtrack can make any scene look cool. The script can go a little cliché and the effects can drown the action a little but this is just some decent entertainment nevertheless.

Will liked these reviews