Knives Out

Knives Out ★★★★½

I really, really loved this. Everyone was perfectly cast, the reveals were exciting, the writing was phenomenal, the visuals were perfect and both appropriately and magnificently campy (when appropriate), the theatre’s laughs were genuine, and I was hooked until the very end. Another bit I loved was that this movie dabbles in a lot of timely sociopolitical issues of the day (similar to my beloved child of Rian, The Last Jedi)… yet, I can’t help but feel like it didn’t actually say enough about said issues.

You can have the main protagonist who is the child of an immigrant, you can have a shitheaded neo-Nazi teen, shitty adults who enable each other’s and their own children’s behaviors, and a misguided SJW (a term I refer to myself as—it’s not an insult in my book) college student… but using them as props and/or as parts of jokes instead of having them help relay powerful messages to audiences—who need said messages more now than ever before—leaves me feeling a bit disappointed (hence the 4.5 and not a 5). This sticks with me especially because I‘m sure Rian believes in the same idea of justice that I believe in but never makes it that abundantly explicit I’m this film.

Anyway, go see it! Saw it with my family and had a great time. I love you, Rian!! ☺️🔪 🩸

Will liked this review