Fishing Without Nets

Fishing Without Nets ★★★½

The opening scene of FISHING WITHOUT NETS is that of the open ocean, the waves pulling you forward like a toxic blanket as we pan towards an aged tanker. As we pull back, the scope reveals the expansive nature of the open blue wonder, and fear begins to rot the core of your stomach. This is a story about Somali pirates. This is a story about their world. Comparisons to Paul Greengrass’ film are easy to pull from the surface (and even the trailer) and scenes may feel identical, but the motivation behind the violence, the anarchy of a world destroyed by poverty, the chaos of money versus safety versus family reach to a deeper level than CAPTAIN PHILLIPS. In fact, one could argue that this 109-minute thriller was tenser, more suspenseful than Mr. Hanks’ flimsy accent. Hodierne understands his subject. The images of Somalia are horrifying, and it constructs the “why” for our emotional lead to make these fateful choices. As our characters begin to break down, as the hostage situation proves painfully unprofitable, the tension mounts tremendously. This is a story about money, Hodierne hints towards this early on, but it is also a story of power, redemption, and family. The ending will leave you emotionally wrecked, but its honesty will make you feel refreshed. This was my first film from VICE films, a website that always seemed like amateur hour, but FISHING WITH NETS was bold, innovative, and while slightly a bit too long, it still provided an alternative image to the modern day pirate. Look for amazing future releases from director Cutter Hodierne, this was an excellent calling card.