District 9 ★½

People seem to think this movie is really great, but it just... didn't really do it for me. There was SO MUCH gore and medical/body horror. The main character was super unlikeable and just spent the whole movie being a jerk to pretty much everyone. Actually there was basically no one in the movie I liked.

The aliens really had no backstory / culture / etc. to make them interesting or believable. Plus the end was basically the MOST INEFFECTUAL USE OF A GIANT DEATH ROBOT EVER. It was just so bad. Like DUDE WHY ARE YOU RUNNING AWAY YOU COULD JUST SHOOT THEM.

Oh and that bit where we're supposed to buy the emotional "Go, leave me here!" "I won't leave you!" "You must!" "I PROMISE I will come back for you!" conversation? Um, they weren't friends. They spent the whole movie being dicks to each other and practically trying to get each other killed. There was literally no affection between them. You can't just throw that conversation in at the end and try to assert that they built some kind of deeply-meaningful friendship offscreen.

Anyway. I get the allegorical stuff, but felt that the movie pretty thoroughly avoided serious examination of any of the myriad interesting ideas or themes it contained. Just felt like a depressing mess. Won't watch again.

Kat liked these reviews