Locke ★★★

I was really excited to see this film, with its incredibly engaging premise and starring the always-captivating Tom Hardy. And yet Locke simply doesn't live up to its bold approach. What it gets right - presenting its entire story in near real-time within one confined location (within arm's reach of a BMW's navigation system) - is notable. The rich bokeh-infused visual imagery Stephen Knight is able to milk from the limited setting is staggering, and some fantastic editing and cross-dissolves make the film a delight to take in.

The limited scope of the film isn’t the problem, however. The major problem is with the actual narrative, which never truly delivers in the way the film seems to build towards. It feels like an incredibly polished, professionally-shot, expertly acted amateur short film that somehow got a budget and a talented director to draw it out to feature length. There’s just not enough meat here to chew on.

All in all, I think we can call this a failed attempt at narrative minimalism, buoyed only by its visual and performance qualities.