The Theory of Everything ★★½

I get it: science is boring to the masses. But what makes this story stand out from all the other "physical/mental obstacles and the havoc they wreak on the lives of those who experience them" stories that can and have been told is the brilliant mind at the core of the narrative. Unfortunately, that's not the story we actually get in The Theory of Everything, which instead focuses so much on Hawking's relationship with his wife, while glossing over the massive accomplishments in the realm of space, time, and quantum mechanics.

Too much hard work is simply ignored by a narrative that places great emphasis on "eureka" moments of inspiration and explain-it-like-I'm-five vignettes that the ultimate effect is that I felt as though I was being peddled to. "See? See how smart this dude was? Now, more importantly what's Jane up to?", Marsh's film seems to ask.

This is not an exceptional film, although some qualities - like its portrayal of Hawking by Redmayne, or its textural cinematography - certainly are. In the end, I'm not sure what the take-away is, except maybe that physical adversity sucks and Hawking is a genius. But since I went into this film already knowing both of those things, what's the point?