The Love Witch

The Love Witch ★★★★★

I found myself relating to Elaine moreso than I did when I first watched the film. She becomes convinced, via her witch cult and other male influences in her life, that men want women to perform in certain ways. So, newly reborn, she puts on an act for the men she comes in contact with. Before I realized I was dem, I would also put on acts for men should the situation arise. (These situations weren't frequent). I didn't realize I was acting until I finally realized my sexuality. Looking back, I felt queasy acknowledging that I was performing in heteronormative ways because I thought that's what I "had" to do for men, versus being motivated by my own convictions. Once I have the opportunity to love someone I'm sexualy attracted to, who knows how I will perform. Because human sexuality is complex and never black and white.

- This is the nightmare that Elaine comes to realize, and in turn, ignores. She learns that the way that she performs sex will not guarantee her love and the perfect relationship. Instead of coming to terms with reality, she kills her Prince Charming, likely to continue performing for men, insanely convinced in gender polarity.

- I sympathize with Elaine's frustration. It's easier to believe that, if you look a certain way and act a certain way, then all of your dreams will come true. That's what some media teaches women. The truth is that people are more complicated than that, and most men want more than just a complying, hot body.

- Perhaps this is the greatest revelation that Biller presents in her work; using a genre known for exploiting women's bodies in order to demonstrate that the men these films were made for are actually more deep than they realize. (Hence why men in this film become inconsolable wants true intimacy vs. manufactured is thrust upon them). Or maybe I'm giving Biller too much credit.

- Biller's only real fault is that at times, the script becomes too bloated for it's own good, leaving even the most insightful film goers reaching for Biller's message. That being said, for a woman to do SO MUCH and do so much WELL in a film, I find it easy to dismiss the ego of the script. I went to school with people who couldn't' even write a five page script, let alone write, direct, produce, edit, AND create costumes and sets for a captivating film.

- The modern cell phone that appears near the end is jolting. I'm not entirely sure what to make of the creative choice yet.

- I don't know if this was an intentional choice, but I love how fake the lead actress is. Sure, the makeup and the hair extensions are fake. But so are the actress' lips. And one eye is wonkier than the other, but you can't tell because of the eyeliner. All of this creates the wonderful effect that Elaine is a fake construction. She looks wonderful, but it's all an act for men. Supposedly. It works to an extent. I think the fakeness of Elaine illustrates the mask women are willing to wear in order to present themselves for men, regardless if it pleases them personally or not.

Original Rating: 4.5/5
New Rating: 5/5

Though some sequences drag on for too long, I find it hard not to give this movie 5/5 stars. I gave in. I believe in the spirit of this movie.

Prior Review Here