The Duke of Burgundy

The Duke of Burgundy ★★★★★

This movie has all the important B's a film needs: bondage, babes, butterflies, Brakhage. You won't ever find the word 'pinastri' slipping out your mouth; there's no need for safe words when something is this exquisite.

Now that I've had a chance to rewatch in a proper setting - hooray big screen and no buffering - I can stand by my initial rating. Frankly, I could let this film go on for hours and hours on end and still find so many new little things that I loved. After everything is handed to you by the end of the first viewing, you start to witness characters in different ways; you notice little things in their performances that foreshadow the following shifts in their relationship. The first time you only see one mannequin in the audience, now you see four - maybe five. The Mothlight-esque sequence that filled the air for what felt like a lifetime now only lasts under a minute, but you really wish it would last that lifetime. It's all about exploring and exposing the sensations that can lead our minds to imagine all sorts of activities; of being bound, rubbed, kissed, ignored. Of being sick of having to deal with the person you love, but loving them regardless of the things that keep you awake at night. You give, you take. You punish, you reward.

Block or Report