Halloween

Halloween ★★★★½

Watched a new restoration of arguably the most influential slasher of all time. Great to finally catch this classic on the big screen, where it was meant to be seen.

Backed by Carpenter's own legendary score, this movie kick-started the golden era of the slasher, establishing the career of seminal scream queen Jamie Lee Curtis and spawning a lot of tropes that still feature in horror films to this day.

"Alright, I'll stay here with you tonight, just on the chance that you're right. And if you are right, damn you for letting him go."

It's always a treat to revisit the leafy streets of Haddonfield, its tranquility subverted by the ever-present menace of Michael Myers, who is never out of the mind's eye, even when he's not actually in the frame. Every time I watch this, I'm reminded how much I love the film's closing shots - just a series of house facades, accompanied by the heavy breathing rhythm of the freak behind the mask. The Shape may have disappeared, but evil never dies. Like the rest of the movie, it's simple, economical, but so eerily effective.

WraithApe liked these reviews