The Wolf of Wall Street

The Wolf of Wall Street ★★★★½

"This right here is the land of opportunity. Stratton Oakmont is AMERICA!" ...
"It's a shame, y'know, cause I always taught you guys to keep pushing, to never hang up the phone until you get what you want. Because you all deserve it. You know this fuckin' deal that I'm about to sign, barring me from the securities commitee, barring me from Stratton - my home. Heh. What the fuck is that, y'know? I'll tell ya what it is: it's me taking no for an answer. It's them sellin' me, not the other way around. It's me being a hypocrite is what it is. So.... y'know what? I'm not leaving. I'm not leaving. I'm not fucking leaving! The show goes on! This is MY home! They're gonna need a fucking WRECKING BALL to take me outta here! They're gonna need to send in the national guard or the SWAT team, 'cause I ain't goin' NOWHERE!

Clever, viciously entertaining, and incredibly polished, The Wolf of Wall Street is undoubtedly a triumph, and the best film of 2013. Scorsese presents a black comedy that examines the life of a disgusting human being, and through this unflinching (yet undoubtedly stylized) examination, asks the hard questions about corporate greed and American capitalism. Which is what every good film does: ask the questions, and in the right manner to present its thesis, while not shoving its morals down the audience's throat. And Wolf does just that.

Not to mention all the performances are brilliant, the editing is vibrant and exciting, and the story itself is interesting despite being filled to the brim with debauchery. The script is funny, yet poignant and the cinematography is exuding excellence. The one minor quibble I had was the runtime - while not being completely unwarranted, it hit me a bit harder this second watch.

Scorsese, you did it again.

Daniel liked these reviews