The Dead Don't Die ★★★★½

I'm not the biggest Jim Jarmusch fan as I find his films to be entertaining but extremely slow. The Dead Don't Die is slow paced but it works perfectly here. Adds to the overall gloom n doom tone of the film. The trailers made this look like a horror comedy or zom com but it was wayyy to bleak to be considered a zom com imho. As with most of Jarmusch's work this was well acted with some witty yet dry dialogue.

Jarmusch has an A-list cast at his disposal that he wasn't afraid to kill off at a moments notice. Tilda Swinton was the standout as the sword wielding mortician. Adam Driver and Bill Murray were great as the confused yet strangely lackadaisical cops. While Chloe Sevigny was great as the increasingly hysterical cop. Caleb Landry Jones and Danny Glover were fun to watch as the valiant hardware store duo. Selena Gomez, The Rza, Larry Fessenden, Steve Buscemi, Tom Waits, and everyone else were great in their extended cameos.

The Dead Don't Die stands out to me cause of the A list cast and the fact that it stays away from typical zombie flicks. These zombies gravitate towards what they enjoyed while they were alive. The characters usually all end up barricading themselves into a church, or farmhouse, or school in these types of films. But they never even came together in the Dead Don't Die. Groups of 2 n 3 just tried to survive as long as they could until it was too late. No happy endings for any these guys! This film seems to take shots at zombie troupes as well as society as a whole. It's slow as hell but I enjoyed the hell out of it!!

8.5 out of 10

Btw - There's definitely a lot of body parts being munched on in juicy bloody fashion so the gore hounds will be pleased.

HeavenSentbutHellRaised87 liked these reviews