The Mitchells vs. The Machines

The Mitchells vs. The Machines ★★★★

I was too hard on this movie. Sure, it’s overstylized, and the animation is… interesting to look at, but it’s supposed to be weird because the Mitchells are weird. This review’s also gonna be a little weird because it’s scattered thoughts made into a “coherent” entry.

Thematically, this is a 10/10. As a current college student, the family situation presented in the movie isn’t much different from my own, and I had to experience the “I just wanna be independent and move away from disfunctionality” mindset as well; such is the nature of leaving for college. The movie also makes it difficult to agree wholeheartedly with either of the two main foils, Katie and Rick, who both go back and forth between being totally understandable to acting irrationally. Also, the commentary on how Big Tech is bad was kinda neat, although I think WALL-E did it much better, and I’m looking forward to seeing more of it in the future. It seemed a little disingenuous with all the Sony product placement though.

The stuff about movies and filmmaking was pretty nice too. There’s a lot of references and Easter eggs to unpack that will definitely require multiple rewatches. There’s even little details like how Katie’s camera battery shows how much of the movie is left. The humor didn’t always resonate with me, but I did laugh much more than I did on my first viewing.

I want to rewatch this again under special circumstances, but we’ll see about how that pans out once I get over my Aaron Mitchell I-overthink-talking-to-girls mindset.

Matt liked these reviews