Jurassic Park ★★★★★

I don't review or rate films. I don't have the skill, or know-how, to judge a film on anything other than its entertainment value. I often don't see pacing, or framing, and I don’t have an eye for cutting or editing. Plot holes and continuity errors often go right over my head. I only see an end result and how I feel about that end result is my only base for a rating I have, or can have. And that quickly causes problems. As an example, I love Tim Burton’s Batman Returns. I like it more than 2018’s Black Panther. Therefore, I would rate Batman higher. But is it a better film? Probably not, right? See what I mean?

To keep the same opinion of a film, which is what ratings and reviews are, you’d ideally judge it in as technical a way as possible. Technical achievements and prowess are often products of their time and are judged with that in mind. Young Sherlock Holmes’ stained glass knight was a marvel when it jumped out of its frame way back when, and is probably a technical milestone. Looking at it now, it’s still that same milestone, but technical advancement has diminished its entertainment value. When I walked out of the theatre after seeing Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity, I was over the moon with it (pun somewhat intended), and I would have dropped a cool five stars then and there. Six years later I still like it a lot, but I would probably take a star, or half a star off. No reason in particular, just time passing. And on Letterboxd I would be tempted to actually go back and turn that five-star rating into a lower one, and if I start doing that, there’s no end to it and I would be in a constant rating-review-loop until the end of time.

There is however, one film for which I will gladly break my no-review "rule", because 1993’s Jurassic Park is my favourite film of all time. Just...hands down. And I feel confident in praising it technically as well. Because even I can see how it’s paced wonderfully and the shots are framed exactly right. All leads give exactly the performance they should and all work wonderfully well together as a result. Many a word has been spoken and written about its combination of practical effects and CG, so I won’t repeat that here. But holy moly that Rex scene is a celluloid treasure.

It’s a film that has it all: excitement and wonder, adventure, humour, tension and drama and it’s all supported by one of the most iconic themes of all time. Unlike most if not all films, all of this still holds true 26 years later.