Children of Men

Children of Men ★★★★★

Exposition through shots of ruin, exposition through graffiti and other acts of vandalism. Exposition through propaganda (is it wrong if I say it was a bit exciting to spot Kuala Lumpur in the "Only Britain Soldiers On" ad?) When the camera pays more attention to the background, the dystopian world where the story takes place in becomes the main character. Theo, Julian, Kee, they are mere fillers, props to provide something accessible for the story. The center stage belongs to the crying woman moaning the death of her son by the side of the road, the floating pig which I assume is a not-so-subtle nod towards Animal Farm, the men in cages tortured in the same manner as the prisoners in Abu Ghraib, crumbling walls and damaged buildings about to disintegrate under their own weight. The attention to detail is truly amazing, for example: Theo escaping with only one slipper on and wincing at every step he took. Much like Blade Runner, the film put emphasis on immersion and world-building -- or the destruction of a world we know, depending on how you look at things --the difference is that this time, the world we're looking at is much more devastating and growing more and more relevant after each passing day.

YI JIAN liked these reviews