Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell ★★★★½

I shamefully admit that I don’t fully understand what was going on in this, it’s philosophy concerning the relationship between our soul, or ghost if you will, and our bodies (the shell of course), being conveyed through imagery and monologue, were a bit too mind-numbing for me.

On surface level though, this film is gorgeous, and proud of itself too. Halfway through the story the film even took a five minute detour to show us its Blade Runner-esque cityscape. I find it interesting that the film seems to be extremely fascinated with the human body and keeps forcing us to study it. Also noticable is the way Major Kusanagi, to be played by Scarlett Johansson in the American remake, completely disregards the well-being of her body and sees them as simply tools like a wrench or a screwdriver, (tearing her own limbs off, being naked almost all the time etc.), as if she’s in a whole new, higher platform of existence unimaginable by us mere humans.

Visually, Ghost in the Shell is on par with Evangelion and Akira, but you probably already know that. The climax looks like it's straight out of Bergman's Persona, and just like Bergman's film, multiple viewings are required.

YI JIAN liked these reviews