Guardians of the Galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy ★★★★

In this rewatch I have confirmed my love for the Guardians of the Galaxy, though the rating still dropped a little there. The script is badly written, there is no denying that. Badly seems pretty harsh, my point is it's not good. Enough. (Still good.) The villain is underdeveloped and unmemorable and uh, well I can't think of anything else that's negative at the moment. Acting is mediocre? Bautista and Pratt were awesome so that settles that.

I'm going to repeat what everyone else had said here, despite all the flaws, the film is saved by its overall goofiness. I absolutely love it. Literally nothing is taken seriously here and this is what makes it so special among the heap of Marvel works. Besides, its amazing how each of the characters is so delicately crafted. First impression, ladies and gentlemen, is very fucking important. Quill dancing. Rocket cursing. Groot drinking. Drax staring. Gamora standing. (Wait.) The film had succeded in doing what The Avengers had done in only 2 hours (while Avengers took 6 films and approximately 4 years). I found myself caring for the guardians as if they were my own family, that itself is a major accomplishment. A bunch of characters that I love, working together in a carefree(?) environment, blurting out one liners while kicking alien ass. This is what I'm looking for in a superhero film, and this is exactly what Marvel studios provided. Who's idea is it to assign James Gunn the job to direct? Who's crazy enough to cast Dave Bautista as Drax? A chubby Chris Pratt as Starlord? Whoever you are, you're the man. Or woman. Or whatever gender you prefer to be labelled as.

I'm going to die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy.

YI JIAN liked these reviews