The Meaning of Life ★★★★

(See: Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

I'm trying to come up with a reason as to why, despite not liking Holy Grail, I was amused by The Meaning of Life. The two share the same style and the same absurdist humor. Yet unlike my first attempt at the Monty Python series, something clicked here. I was actually having fun! It's not like they've toned down or anything, quite the opposite really, they've went even further over the top this time. It's longer, gorier, and quite unbelievably -- even more random. Characters and settings change in a matter of seconds, the narrator can just interrupt halfway and turn the story upside down. Perhaps this is the reason. The Meaning of Life does not try to make sense. It's just a handful of jokes pieced together to make a film. It has taken advantage of its chaotic nature to present its humor as naturally as possible.

Now Holy Grail, on the other hand, is also a collection of jokes meshed into a film, but they tried to give it a structure, a backbone in the form a plot. Suddenly, it felt like the jokes don't belong where they are anymore. They looked crammed, uncomfortable. An encounter became an excuse for a joke to be made, and most of them fell flat anyway. So yeah, overall it took me out of the experience. But it's just me, of course, a lot of people would say otherwise.

YI JIAN liked these reviews