Blade Runner 2049 ★★★★

I need to see it again at least one more time but these are my initial thoughts.

Matches the slow contemplative pace of the first film, but has a unique, less noir-ish feel. Deakins cinematography is unparalleled. Each frame looks beautifully sharp and detailed from the lighting to the makeup, from the set design to the set dressing.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the Joi aspect of the story. It delves into the same issues that Spike Jonze did with "Her."

I initially felt betrayed when K/Joe finds out that he is not Deckard and Rachel's son, but another replicant breadcrumb in their elaborate plan. That seemed like a poorly setup betrayal for the sake of maintaining a distance from the revolution that the story touches on but does nothing with.

I was surprised how little Ford and Leto are in the film.

This was in my top 5 most anticipated of the year and I don't feel letdown, so much as still mystified that it exists and that having seen I'm still not sure what it is.This was in my top 5 most anticipated of the year and I don't feel letdown, so much as still mystified that it exists and that having seen I'm still not sure what it is.