One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest ★★★★★

Film Club #2 (or number #1 for me :P)
Chosen by The Letterboxd Legend Alex Todd ,go follow him if you don't already!

Apart from being one of the very very few instances where the academy actually got it right,One flew over the Cuckoo's nest is a decade-defining classic that tackles a very serious & important subject incredibly well.While it's not a true story,it's based on a book,it is definetely based on true events as the institutions presented here had been using these cruel methods of human "correcting" for many years until they were finally stopped in the early 80s.Nurse Ratched represents everything wrong with those places and it is no coincidence every soul has seen this film,regardless of whether they liked it or not,hated that @#$% with all their heart.

The performances are easily the strongest aspect of this movie as the entire supporting cast gives more than memorable performances with Danny Devito being the absolute standout of the group.Fletcher also perfectly portrays the evilness of the nurse.But "the make it or break it" factor of this film would've always been the lead performance and Jack Nicholson is just perfect for this role.There is no other actor in the history of this art who can portray craziness Like Nicholson to the point where if you placed Jack and some actual crazy people next to each other and told someone to find who is the fake,chances are he wouldn't point at Nicholson.

When I first saw this,I didn't really like the ending and it took me some time to come to terms with it,but now it's one of my favorite endings to a film period!

yondu4 liked these reviews