Last Shift

Last Shift ★★★

With a very effective setting and genuinely creepy atmosphere, Anthony DiBlasi's Last Shift was a pleasant surprise. I thought it would be just another shitty straight to DVD type horror film that are in abundance under the horror genre on Netflix streaming.

Rookie cop Jessica Loren's (Juliana Harkavy) first assignment is to work the last night of a closing police station. With everything routed to the new station she's the only officer assigned to work the last night. Soon strange occurrences in the station turn this rookie cop's first night on the job into a living nightmare.

I've seen this film compared to John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13. I think that's a fair assessment. There's certainly similarities. The difference being a more supernatural approach in Last Shift. This film is far better than expected thanks to a solid performance by Juliana Harkavy, the setting, and an atmosphere full of creepiness. I know some people might be sick of hearing this, but it's one of those films where sound plays a big part of it's effectiveness. I'm of the belief that used effectively, sound can be very creepy in a horror film. It works really well here.

While DiBlasi gets more right here than I ever expected, his film certainly has it's flaws. I think a lot more could have been done with the story to make it more interesting. With a little extra umph to the plot I would have really, really liked this. The biggest flaw in my opinion came in the form or logic issues. As I mentioned, Juliana Harkavy is very good, but her character makes some unrealistic and often piss poor decisions throughout the film. She makes mistakes not even a rookie should make, and it kinda pulled me out of the experience a couple times.

Flaws aside, the fact I liked this film at all shocked me. I really just expected bargain bin low budget horror. Instead it's a pleasant surprise, and I love pleasant surprises.

The Ron Says: Surprise surprise, Last Shift is actually worth your time. See it.

yorel1976 liked these reviews