Raiders of the Lost Ark

Raiders of the Lost Ark ★★★½

Indiana Jones, anyone who knows anything at all about movies knows that name. Steven Spielberg's star vehicle for Harrison Ford is one of the most well known and loved franchises in cinematic history. Even if you haven't seen the films it's likely you know the character, his hat, his trademark whip, and you've probably heard John Williams famous score. If you can believe it up until tonight I'd only seen the fourth film. Bit and pieces of the previous three have floated around in my head for years because I'd seen parts of each on TV as a child. It's possible I saw some if not all of them in their entirety but if I did I don't remember. Scenes for all three have been in one big mess in my mind for as long as I can remember. As I got older I formed the opinion that Indiana Jones just wasn't for me. I was raised on horror so action/adventure just didn't appeal to me. So I spent a good portion of my life avoiding these films under the guise they just weren't my thing. I saw the shitty fourth film in theaters because I knew enough about the series where I didn't think it would matter and my friends wanted to see it. It was and still is one of my least favorite trips to the cinema. It didn't help with my desire to see the previous three, but I knew that even fans of the series thought the fourth film sucked so I knew I'd eventually get around to the original trilogy. Especially considering how popular and well like they're. For me that means I pretty much have to watch them. Luckily the first film Raiders of the Lost Ark lived up to it's hype as a great action/adventure film.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark well known Archeologist and adventurer Indiana Jones (Harrison Ford) is hired by the U.S. government to locate the "Ark of the Covenant" before the Nazis.

I just want to make it clear that for the type of film this is it's fantastic. It's fun and packed with the promised action and adventure. Spielberg films some fantastic set pieces, and Harrison Ford is very likable and charismatic as Indiana Jones. My 3.5 star rating reflects my personal taste and the fact I really liked the film but I didn't love it. It's popcorn cinema at it's finest it's just not typically my thing so I don't rate it as high most people do. It's the type of film that makes me sit back, kick up my feet, and enjoy the ride. It just doesn't fit my personal tastes enough to place it among my favorites.

There's a lot of silliness in this film which is intentional for comedic effect. For the most part it works and I got some good laughs out of it. It gets a bit cheesy at times, and Indiana Jones getting caught and escaping multiple times got kinda repetitive but it's only a minor issue, and judging by the love this film gets it obviously doesn't bother most people. For anyone who is a gamer it's very interesting to see the obvious influences the characters and setting have had on video games. Many scenes felt like something I've done in a game at one point or another in my life. I know there's been Indiana Jones video games, but I'm thinking more along the lines of Prince of Persia and Assassins Creed. It was actually really cool to see.

I'll be watching the next two film in the coming days. I haven't decided if I'll be able to force myself to re-watch the fourth film but odds are I will. If the next two are as fun as Raiders of the Lost Ark it'll all be worth it. I hope to continue the whip cracking fun tomorrow.

yorel1976 liked these reviews