2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★

So, I finally watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and I was not disappointed, it definitely lived up to the expectations that have been set by myself and others for this film.

Getting straight into it, this film looks cool, the cinematography and visual effects (especially in the scene near the end of the film) are spectacular and I can only imagine how brilliant it would’ve been to see them in a cinema in general, it would’ve been even better to see these kind of effects in the 60s too, when this would’ve been even more mind blowing than it already is today. Even without the SFX, this film is beautifully shot, with some not only iconic shots, but really nice looking ones too. I love how minimal the dialogue in the film is, I mean the last line of the film is like 25-30 minutes before the film ends, and the first isn’t until after the first 30 or so either! Because of this minimal dialogue, we get some wonderful music and sound and an even better use (or lack) of it. The film doesn’t feel like too much is going on in it but it never feels too long or slow, even though some people may beg to differ. I also love how ambiguous the film is altogether, only really having a loose plot and leaving the viewer to decide what actually happened in the masterpiece they just watched, which if anything is my only slight issue with the film because I just wanted to know what was going on. However, I don’t really think this is a bad thing because I like being able to figure things like this out, and I had a lot of fun doing so.

If you’re not a big fan of the sci-fi genre or films in general, you might not love this film, but I still recommend you check it out for the sake of it, because of how brilliant it is. But if you do love films or maybe even just sci-fi films, then you will probably love this film too. I think for me to have a fully cemented opinion myself I might need to watch it again just to be sure, maybe I will soon just to try and get my head around what I just witnessed.

97%

Edit: It’s been a few months now and after thinking back I don’t like it as much as at first. I definitely need to rewatch this one, but as of now I’m lowering it to 4 stars and rating it:
80%