Kong: Skull Island

Kong: Skull Island ★★★

Showing mum the MonsterVerse, so yayyy I get to watch this and King of the Monsters again wooooo neither of these films bore me at all 😃

Well, the film doesn’t get all that watchable until Paranoid by Black Sabbath plays over soldiers bombing an island, which ultimately leads to their own fate. Kong looks and acts fucking incredible, the action is awesome, and the visuals all look absolutely stunning at times with their use of colour (not saying colours equal good cinematography, I just really love how it looks).

But aside from that, and some slightly touched upon messaging about war and how humankind ruins everything, Kong: Skull Island doesn’t have that much going for it. The cast are actually pretty good, but even Tom Hiddleston, Sam Jackson, John C. Riley, John Goodman and Brie Larson can’t make me care for any of these flat characters. Whenever we see Kong and the other Skull Island creatures, it’s phenomenally entertaining (please Godzilla vs Kong focus on giant monsters fighting and be a ton of fun, please, I’m begging you, don’t repeat King of the Monsters), but I just don’t care about the characters, and the start of the film is so boring. I love Kong, I have very fond childhood memories of Jackson’s Kong film, and I love him here, but this film as a whole doesn’t stick the landing for me.

Kong: Skull Island often fumbles thanks to some weak characters, awkward humour and a pretty boring opening 25 minutes, but some nice visuals, a solid cast and a sense of fun to it (largely thanks to its title Titan) make it an overall okay time.

East is best, west is worst
55%