Good Time

Good Time ★★★★

Technically perfect. The direction is engaging, chaotic, and claustrophobic. The editing is slick and fluent, the cinematography is handled like some psychedelic mindfuck for the entire movie. The neon fluorescent lighting is a great touch that makes this an extremely stylish and great looking experience. The use of extreme close-ups and shaky cam was effective and for once they're both used in the correct way, to sell a personal, stressful, trippy anxiety attack. The score is one of the best I've heard in a while, blended with the brilliant sound design and mixing make for an exciting experience.

Connie is one of the most interesting fictional characters put to film, and I'm not joking. He's a fascinating character to study, his descent into committing morally ambiguous deeds enhance everything around him. The film attempts to say something about the socio-economic structure and how it affects people like Connie, and what he does to get ahead. I didn't catch everything on this watch, so I'll hopefully pick it up when I rewatch in a couple months.

The credits scene are something else entirely. The film makes you think that the final shot will be of Connie because of how all the events enfolded, after all his bad luck. But no. The film takes you back to look at the real victim in the film, his brother Nick (played brilliantly by Benny Safdie). The Pure and the Damned is one of my favourite songs, and that entire credits scene was so emotional. The sheer weight of seeing Nick walk to and fro around a room is incredible. I've not seen anything like it.

My one small gripe is that there's a scene in which a character rambles on about his past few days, told through a monologue and flashbacks. The scene felt so out of place in the movie, and it's only purpose was to set up the next plot point. It was really sloppy in my honest opinion, and it took me out of the anxiety-inducing experience for a bit. Not kidding, 5 stars without that scene.

Bopp liked these reviews