Frances Ha ★★★★★

A few years ago, I moved to Portland to live with my best friend--we'd known each other since high school, and he was back in Maine for the first time in years, and I desperately wanted to get out of Lewiston. And it was a good time. I don't do groups well, and I have a hard time meeting people, but for a while, me and my best friend would just hang out and watch movies and sometimes there'd be other people and sometimes there wouldn't be. Early in 2012, my best friend met someone, and they started dating a lot, and I was super happy for him, I really was. Inevitably, he started spending more time with her, and there were months when it was basically just me living in the apartment alone, which was okay, although kind of depressing. But then he told me he was definitely moving out, and I was like, "Right," and I freaked out, because the only reason I'd really been able to afford Portland (despite having two jobs) is that I'd moved in with him. I scrambled around and I put things off and I pretend it would go away, and then I ended up having to move back to Lewiston, about a mile from where I used to live. And Dave asked me to the best man at his wedding, which was great, and I gave a good speech, and it was a beautiful ceremony, but mostly I remember sitting by myself at a table, wishing I could tell my best friend something about anything, and he was over dancing with his wife. It's fine now, though. I hate Lewiston, and I helped my best friend and his wife move into their new house this fall. He sent me a Facebook message saying Merry Christmas.

Anyway, what I mean is, this movie is perfect and you should see it, and it hit me like a ton of warmly compassionate bricks.

Zack liked this review