Parasite ★★★★★

100

If I had all this I would be kinder.

One of the most insane cinematic experiences of the decade. Parasite starts as familial drama, turns into a heist thriller, then transitions into a farce, THEN becomes a claustrophobic thriller, finally arriving at subterranean horror. There is then a yearning, very cinematic epilogue to the story, almost hypothesizing a better life. Yet, in the end, it was always a farce.

There is a real sense of Shakespearean tragedy to the proceedings. All still very accessible to any audience. I would even recommend it to people who don’t enjoy foreign films. Honest to God possibly one of the best movies I've ever seen personally, it scratches every bit of my cinematic itches.

Parasite is truly a film without genre. It transitions and uses every style of cinematic form it wants. And then becomes a transcendent work of art, something resembling classic Greek Theater. It uses damn near the entire arsenal of filmmaking at its fingertips, and I would say I don’t know if I’ve seen a better balance of tone and pacing than what Bong Joon-Ho is masterfully able to harness here.

Go in as blind as you possibly can, and trust me, you will not be disappointed. If you think it’s slow at first, just wait. You have no idea what you’re in store for. Unquestionably in talks as one of the best films this decade.