The Thin Red Line

The Thin Red Line ★★★★★

“My dear wife, you get something twisted out of your insides by all this blood, filth, and noise. I want to stay changeless for you. I want to come back to you the man I was before. … Why should I be afraid to die? I belong to you. If I go first, I’ll wait for you there, on the other side of the dark waters. Be with me now.”

This film affected me, not exactly as much as Synecdoche New York, but enough to be able to feel obligated to writing less of a review and more of a paragraph of questions. A wall, if you will of my own thoughts.

I continue to ask myself, as I write, exactly how I would feel completely stranded in my own thoughts whilst ending others lives however also spending each moment blindly before I eventually meet my own end. Would my sanity completely deprecate under the dreaded notion that I, one of many, could pass at any moment? Would I eventually be completely deprived of any care for any of my surroundings after gradual existential wonders and questions? Would I change fundamentally as a person or would I return the same?