The Favourite ★★★★

All I know is your carriage awaits, and my maid is on her way up with something called a ‘pineapple.’”

Yorgos Lanthimos is at his absolute best when he’s wrapping his characters’ dread and mania with sarcasm and ridiculously awkward situations.
Through the jarring costumes, camerawork, cinematography, glorious performances, airtight script, and idiosyncratic direction, The Favourite secretes a rancid aroma and incurable disease into the room of its audience through the back door. It arrives almost as inconspicuously as the character Abigail does into the palace, sneaking its way under the guise of attributes such as ingenuity, integrity, and, most deceitful of all, lovely. Once the realization comes that you’ve spent two hours falling for complex characters and gripping storytelling only to see the black rot underneath it all, it’s far too late to go back.
It’s all quite scary once it’s over and done with, and that quality of horror is much more impactful when Lanthimos and writers Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara float it through security inside of a Trojan Horse. Like The Lobster, the closing moments feel utterly hopeless and empty when juxtaposed with the fun and fanfare witnessed beforehand.

I can’t WAIT to see this again.

Zane liked these reviews