Roma ★★★★★

I am so thankful that I got to see this at the AFI Film Fest. From the opening shot, an overhead of a tiled floor, you know we're on a slow, meditative journey. We’re introduced to Roma with the coarse sound of broom bristles being dragged across the stubborn stillness of the floor. We hold on the ground, the sound of passing water washes over us. The surface is then layered with the suds of soapy water. The surface now reflects the sky above. By holding onto the flat surface of the floor long enough, we now have a window into what covers us. Wave after wave plummet past, an airplane soars through the reflection. A reminder that no matter how focused we are on what's before us, there is much happening beyond the frame, beyond our focal point. We haven't seen a single person yet, a character, and I'm already more engaged than during most film's entire duration. Roma is a masterpiece and I don't want to spoil a thing, it's pure cinematic bliss. I'll be surprised if by year end this isn't my number one pick of 2018.

zedcutsinger liked these reviews