2001: A Space Odyssey

2001: A Space Odyssey ★★★★★

Part of Hal's Birthday 2001 Impressions Thingy

The time: Started watching at around 1:15PM
The mood: A little tired but genuinely quite excited to rewatch this
The situation: Watching with my gf as our first film of 2019 after not having a lot of time the last 2 weeks because living together with two new cats kind of eats your free time

I only vaguely remember the first time I watched 2001. I must have been 13 or 14 and felt so confused and overwhelmed by the opening scene that I just gave up immediately.
Then there's my second viewing: part of my 2018 Project where I just watched it way too early. I hadn't really gotten into the groove of watching films and hadn't seen nearly enough good stuff to fully appreciate and connect with this.

In a pleasant but unsurprising turn of events, this viewing was much much more enjoyable - an inspiring, captivating, visually stunning, discussion-inducing experience.

It’s just absolutely incredible to look back once the film is over and realize the journey this film has taken you on. There is just so much stuff happening, yet it never gets boring or overwhelming (save for the end which is clearly meant to be overwhelming) and always manages to stay true to itself.

When the film ended I was sad for some reason. Sad isn’t quite the right word for what I felt but it’s the closest I can get to describing it. The last scene made me think about life and death and all the stuff in between and something in me just felt the need to cry.

So now I’m gonna do the thing I should have done long ago and finally put this somewhere in my Top 25. Where exactly, I’m not sure; but it should have been there all along.