Green Room ★★★½

one of those rare movies that I like exactly as much as I think I will... which is a lot! super-solid ~90-min genre movies that make me feel sick to my stomach are kind of my favorite things. (if I ever make a movie, that's what I want it to be like.)

I liked how incompetent the villains are... they're terrifying, of course, but even with their guns, knives, attack dogs, etc. they can't kill five helpless teenagers. it's an interesting way to portray this kind of white supremacist violence: don't downplay it, make the perpetrators as scary as they'd feel to you if you were trapped in a bunker with them, but slowly undermine them as time grinds on and dawn creeps closer and closer and their intended victims are still alive. it's no accident that anton yelchin and imogen poots survive by treating the scenario like a game (drawing on their faces w/ sharpies—and, in yelchin's case, shaving his head—to resemble their would-be killers)—it points to a certain silliness underlying the killers' "movement," while never denying its deadliness.

yelchin is great in this; GREEN ROOM plus a few episodes of TROLLHUNTERS this weekend made me appreciate his range anew. his performance in TROLLHUNTERS brims with the same boyish, irrepressible energy that made his chekhov so delightful to watch; contrast that with his journey from frightened, reluctant spokesperson to sobbing victim to dead-eyed survivor in GREEN ROOM and you can't help but be impressed by his range he'd achieved at only 27—and mourn what was yet to come... no doubt he'd only have deepened and broadened as an actor given time.