Mulholland Drive

Mulholland Drive ★★★★★

The first time I saw this was on DVD shortly post-release. I knew going in that it was salvaged from a pilot that wasn't picked up. I was a longtime Lynch fan, although I'd recently been disappointed by Lost Highway's incoherence.

After my first viewing I thought Mulholland Drive was ridiculous, nonsensical, and obviously hacked together post-pilot. I was sure that the critics fawning over it were artsy Lynch worshiping suckers. Just another example of the emperor's new clothes! I was so much smarter than everyone else!

But in the days afterward, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was haunted by three scenes in particular - Winkie's Diner, the audition, and Silencio.

I read a little more about the film (I think there was a Salon "explainer" of sorts written at the time) and it seemed like it might make some sense after all.

I've watched Mulholland Drive four or five times since. I now think it's a masterpiece and the best film released this century. I might even put it at #2 all-time (2001 is my #1).

The film makes more sense every time I see it. The funny thing is, the more it makes sense, the less it matters...

Zoltan liked these reviews