Blindspotting

Blindspotting ★★★★½

Blindspotting made me feel sick to my stomach. I would say in all the right ways, however it has left me broken and that is with me not totally processing the entirety of the movie yet. I am trying to comprehend how I’ll be able to fully soak in all the nuances at play throughout the movie even after several more viewings. I have no other choice but to watch this multiple times and perhaps pause to reflect on the most evocative moments, and I truly think everyone should. It is that important. Not only because is everything about this movie timely and also an essential commentary on the state of America when it comes to race and police brutality, but it is the reality of many people’s lives. You need to do more than just watch this movie, you should really see it, study it, listen to it carefully, dive deep to understand it, become angry, and share it with family & friends.

With the movie being Co-produced, co-written, and co-starred by Daveed Diggs and Rafael Casal, what Blindspotting immediately has going for it is the chemistry of this duo. It is evident of how at ease they are in their collective vision. Therefore, the structure of the movie benefits from a strong set-up of their character’s friendship. Collin (Daveed Diggs) and Miles (Rafael Casal) rely on one another, though eventually they must reconcile with the fact that they innately are dealt much different hands in life. Miles is a complete hothead and jackass, and Casal does perfect in his portrayal despite the fact I believe his character is largely one-note and the acting therefore did not require anything dazzling. If anything his spouse (Jasmine Cephas Jones), was much stronger in dramatic scenes they shared. Collin, on the other hand, is such an intimately drawn out character with so, so many standout scenes. Daveed Diggs is outstanding. His own writing, delicately weaving in dialogue with spoken-word poetry/rap verses, allows him to shine beyond belief. Much like the thoughtful and eloquent stylistic choices from the director (Carlos Lòpez Estrada), the screenplay is effective in both its risks and freshness.

I rode the wave with Diggs’ character every step of the way, and it is almost impossible to explain how excellent it was to intently follow such a meticulously crafted character. It is obvious to me the immense care and dedication it went to create Collin, the emotional driving force the entire 90 minutes. Especially during a final act that will stick with me for a very long time.

At one point I lost it, right before the climax, and uncontrollably sobbed. The rather brief sequence that personally affected me was incredibly poignant. Being biracial, I hardly ever see myself represented on-screen, and in this particular heartbreaking moment I could see my younger self in Sean (Ziggy Baitinger) and became overcome with sorrow after one particular line. I find it quite hard to grapple with this one piece of dialogue where Sean begins to lose his childhood innocence. I cannot shake that moment, but I’m glad it led to significant introspection.

I really think about all the imagery that is jam packed into Blindspotting and it begins to be overwhelming. And that’s the whole point. We should not feel comfortable with or accept the reality that haunts this nation. As Daveed Diggs brilliantly and powerfully raps near the end of the movie, “I’ma need you to open your fucking eyes now and look and see. You might think you know what’s happening, but you don’t feel it like we do! To feel it, it has to be you...” And so, I think it is necessary to strongly assert this — a statement that is not a trend, or an empty movement, or some kind of bandwagon you can join as an “ally” for a week and then not do the hard work involved with solving the systemic problems that plague our society — Black lives matter! Today and every day!

WATCH. THIS. NOW.