Can't Hardly Wait ★★½

This is one of those cliche teen high school romantic comedy, party flicks that parody films (like Not Another Teen Movie or Wet Hot American Summer) exist to make fun of. It's shallow, predictable and doesn't work on the deeper levels that high school films from Richard Linklater or Noah Baumbach do (which is why the honest rating here is pretty low), yet there is such an indefinable nostalgic quality here that, dare I say, there's still something enjoyable about this movie (if you're feeling nostalgic).

It's so of its time that I might even refer to it as one of those quintessential 90's films that wouldn't have been groundbreaking when it came out (and probably doesn't hold up well for today's youth), but brings back memories watching it now for anyone who grew up in the 90's. Working the late night shift when this movie came on TV, I was somewhat forcibly subjected to it, but before long I began to enjoy it in all it's lame, predictable glory. None of the characters are particularly interesting as most of them are simple cliches: the jocks, the skaters, the nerds, etc. There are even enough side characters and subplots going on that the supposed central characters feel lost in the shuffle from time to time. But so help me, I couldn't stay mad at this film for long. For all it's missteps, cliches and frivolity, I enjoyed it for what it was. I'm also afraid to admit that I enjoyed the blast from the past that was the film's soundtrack. It's full of 90's music I had completely forgotten about...