Call Me by Your Name

Call Me by Your Name ★★★★★

My 6th and final movie at the Adelaide Film Festival

My screening before this ended late, and I had about 2 minutes to rush between theatres, barely made it. It had been a long day.
10 minutes into this I was tired, hungry and wanted it to end.

When it did end, I was fucking crying and ready for another 2 hours of it.

I saw Guadagnino's other film last year, A Bigger Splash, and while I liked it, I didn't really connect with it, I'm not a huge fan of the "rich people hanging out while on holiday" genre. This movie kinda falls into that, but it's so loving, so full of life and so beautiful that it transcends any pretentions that you might expect it to have.

Call Me By Your Name is a love story, and a story of a young man learning, figuring out who he is. It's awkward, messy, sexy, and full of uproarious highs and devastating lows.
Timothee Chalamet plays this young man, Elio, and he's a goddamn revelation. We meet Elio as he's in Italy with his parents, and Elio meets Oliver (Armie Hammer), there to spend 6 weeks with them while working with his father. The two get to know each other, and their relationship blossoms from there.

What was refreshing about this was the fact that it was a movie about a gay relationship, that didn't try to make me sad. So many times movies like this have focussed so much on the hardships, on prejudice, on politics. Call Me By Your Name is a straight up love story, the fact that it happens to be about two men is never made a big deal about, it's just the way it is. Homosexuality in films needs to stop being treated as something out of the ordinary, and Call Me By Your Name does a fantastic job.

This is gonna make Chalamet a star, he's incredible. It's a really challenging performance, including a certain long-take that quite literally took the entire audience's breath away. Armie Hammer is great, he's more than just an incredibly attractive man (although damn).

Michael fucking Stuhlbarg. He's so underrated, I've been following his work since I saw him in A Serious Man. He plays Elio's father, he's phenomenal, and I'd love to see him grab an Oscar nomination for supporting actor. He gives one of the best monologues I've ever witnessed. Yeah, didn't go into this movie expecting Stuhlbarg to be the one responsible for my crying my eyes out.
One of the best movie fathers in recent memory, what a legend.

So yeah this movie crawled deeper under my skin with every second it went on, and by the end I was as invested in this story as much as the characters themselves. It's a beautiful movie that we can all take something away from. However small, it's going to affect people's lives.

See this fucking movie when it comes out, it's one of the best of the year.

PS: This is my 7th 5/5 for 2017, this year has been absolutely insane.